Sunday, June 17, 2012

Call of Freedom- Book 1, United. Chapter 7- Filibuster


Overview: States rights, and nullification---- remember those! they will come into play in book two. 

Also, I love South Carolina senators :) 

  The news of a victory brought a relief to Congress. The first victory for the Patriots.. They fought other battles: Lexington, Kentucky; Concord, Massachusetts; Hartford, Connecticut; Jacksonville, Florida. Every one of these battles were lost, but this news of the Watchung Mountains victory brought hope to Congress. Senator Mariah Millsap took the floor “Mr. President, its time. We have been listening to King Arnold for too long. He has ignored us, even though we are the legislative branch. I’d say we sign a “Declaration of Independence” from him, as he would ignore even impeachment charges and there are many in these United States that are under his spell.”  “Do we have a second?” Glenn asked. “I second” said Senator Luke Douglas who was also president of the "Fearless Freeman" an influential paper published in the states.
Glenn appointed five congressmen to be on this committee: Thomas Warren of Virginia, Jenaye White of Kentucky, Luke Douglas of Wyoming,  Mariah Millsap of Pennsylvania, and Alexis Hahn of Massachusetts. Thomas immediately took charge of this group, as they voted who the main writer should be. Thomas Warren was to be the writer, and report back in two weeks.
 After two long weeks dragged on, Thomas introduced the declaration to the committee.  Jenaye and Mariah approved. Luke Douglas suggested that the declaration must add room that the federal laws shouldn’t trump state laws. “I can’t” replied Congressman Warren, “I believe the federal government must have the final say.”  The phrase was kept in, but as soon as it hit the congressional floor fo r voting… trouble came.
“Madam President, I’m afraid I can’t yield the floor. As much as I respect my Honorable colleagues;  I can not vote for a document that may infringe on our states rights” Calah Rutledge of South Carolina stated. Rutledge went on and on, it was clear this was a filibuster. 
In the anteroom Thomas Warren listened, Luke Douglas gave him an “I told you so” face.  “May my Honorable Colleague from South Carolina yield the floor please” said Jenaye. “I’m afraid I can’t, I’m filibustering.” “Yield for a question?” “alright.” Jenaye then proceeded to ask her questions on just about everything,  it began to seem clear that 2/3rds of Congress approved of the filibuster and were helping Rutledge keep the floor.   Rutledge yawned and stretched as she read from just about anything she could get her hands on.  Speaking for 10 hours straight so far, she gave the floor to Jenaye White a who continued for another 5 hours as Senator Rutledge sat down. “Madam President!” Senator Warren interrupted, “I choose to file for cloture.”  All the minority party needed in this case were 7 votes for cloture to end the filibuster, but if the cloture passed and out of rebellion the states rights senators walked out of the room, the vote would be deadlocked, without a quorum.  They got the seven signatures of the Federalists: Thomas Warren, Amanda Cobucci, Glenn Bertsch, Andrew Robertson, and his twin brother Michael Robertson,  Julie Hagan, and Elise Hanson. The filibuster ended.  True to Warren's prediction, the states rights senators walked off the floor. A cloture wasn’t possible after all. Senator Warren was hoping, at least a few of them would have stayed so the voting wouldn’t be deadlocked. He knew the only way to have his declaration pass was to have the federalists talk to the states rights senators.  That night Senator Warren knocked on the door of the boarding house where both Senators White and Rutledge stayed. He found out what room each one was in and decided to talk, Senator Rutledge was first, she couldn’t vote for a document that wasn’t clear on states rights and suggested that he’d put in the phrase “all laws that are opposed to the constitution, the states can nullify.” Senator White said the same, Senator Warren finally decided… he must add the phrase. Compromise is a must.



No comments:

Post a Comment